Tag Archives: riverboats

The Sinking of the Shiloh

Yesterday, while looking over the images Becky has added to the Pink Palace Photograph Collection, I enjoyed yet another surprise from the photos of the Mayor family – a sunken steamboat.  Two images of it, in fact.  And one image showed the cobblestones of the Memphis riverfront, so it appeared as though it sank right at the foot of Beale Street.

Shiloh sinking

Sure enough, we found the Shiloh (labeled “Shilo” on the images) in Way’s Packet Directory, 1848-1983:

Shiloh

Stw p wh [Sternwheel packet, wood hull] b. Jeffersonville, Ind., by Howard, 1902.  178 tons.  150 x 28 x 4. Engines, 13’s- 5 ft.  Two boilers, each 40″ by 22 ft.  She was built for St. Louis & Tennessee River Packet Co. Came out in Savannah-Danville trade, Capt. Lon Kell, with pilots Charles R. Beard and Ed B. Beard; Sam G. Smith, purser; Tommy Latham, chief engineer; Al Aiken, second engineer; Charles Lewter, second clerk.  She was under charter to Delta Navigation Co., Memphis, Capt. Ed Nowland, Jr., and hit the levee while landing at Memphis with a heavy cargo, sank, and was lost, this in December 1913.

Dredge_boat_and_sunken_steamboat

As you would imagine, since the steamer sank while being chartered by another party, a lawsuit followed.  For more information on St. Louis and Tennessee River Packet Co. v. Nowland, please click here.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Dig Memphis, Digital Archive, Memphis History, Photographs

New Collections in the Memphis Room

We’ve had a number of great new collections processed in the past few months, so take a look:

C.E. Dean Riverboat Collection

E.H. Porter Railroad Collection

Frank M. Campbell Collection

Jacob C.H. Meanley Riverboat Photograph Collection

Mallory-Neely House and Tennessee Homecoming Collection

Marvin and Mary Bazemore Collection

Memphis Little Theatre Programs Collection

Memphis Opera Theatre / Opera Memphis Programs Collection

Pioneers Black Firefighters of Memphis Collection

Urban Renewal Photograph Collection

Wolf River Conservancy Collection

Many thanks to the volunteers, interns and staff members who have worked so hard to make these collections available to the public.  If you would like to view any of our manuscript collections, please visit us on the 4th floor of the Benjamin L. Hooks Central Library.

Leave a comment

Filed under Collections, Photographs